Tuesday, August 05, 2003

My computer doesn't like me.

It all started when the wireless on my laptop started tweaking out and not connecting to the internet properly. Then while trying to troubleshoot what was wrong with my network connection, I decided that I would upgrade from Windows 2000 to XP. In the middle of the upgrade the hard drive died. I then had to go through all these diagnostic thingamajoos to see if there was a workaround, but alas, there wasn't. That was after about 6 hours of having to restart the installation before the whole thing completely died. Luckily for some odd reason, this 3 year old computer was still on warranty. I called up Dell and they promptly sent me a replacement. So now once the new hard drive had arrived, I tried to install XP once again. I took out all of my handy CD's to reinstall all of my drivers, and whadya know, they're not compatible with XP. I tried installing the drivers that I got from online for my network cards so that I could at least get online to download everything else. After about 2 hours of trying to install the driver that kept failing, the wireless started working....kind of. Then I ended right back where I started with the bad connections. I decided that I would try to connect directly rather than through wireless, and tried to install the driver to my network card. AGAIN, nothing works. Argh. I hate XP.

I have already downloaded all of my pictures from Vegas and my weekend onto this computer and due to the lack of network connections, I can't upload them. They'll be up eventually though as I had promised before as soon as my computer and OS start working with me.

No comments: