Monday, September 22, 2003

I went to a sports tournament this Saturday to see some old friends, cheer my brains out, and of course, watch my man kick some butt. One of Bertrand's greatest loves is to play volleyball. Before I had even met Bertrand, I knew about his reputation with volleyball. If his name was mentioned, something regarding volleyball usually followed. When we became friends, I would hear about him going to tournaments to play here and there with his friends. Being from a volleyball family myself (my brother played) and having been to many volleyball games and tournaments, it was nice to hear how much he loved the game. Yet, for some odd reason I had never actually seen him play. There were a couple of times where I would take out a volleyball and ask him to teach me, but after all the screams and ouches on my part, we usually stopped after a couple of minutes. I had seen him pepper with my brother before, but never seen him actually play competitively. I saw him play this weekend, and my heart was overwhelmed with pride. I saw all his dives and spikes and jump serves at the opposing team. At one point, a couple of guys in the crowd started yelling at the other team, "Don't hit it to him!" After nearly a year of being together and the couple of years that we have been friends, I finally got to see what all the fuss was about.

No comments: