Thursday, September 04, 2003

During my four years in college, I was lucky enough to find a great group of friends who I not only spent my time with but also lived with. We all met our freshman year in the dorms and lived on the third floor across the hall from each other. Once the first year was over and we had gained our freshman 15, it was time to move out of the dorms and into our very own apartment. There were five of us and it was great. Not only did I get to have great roommates, but I also got to live with my best friends. Late at night we after we all went to bed, there was always one of us who woke up in the middle of the night who went to the other rooms to gather the others for a 'bonding night'. At about 3 or 4 in the morning, we would all gather in one room spread out on the beds, trundles, and chairs and just lie there and talk about life until the wee hours of the morning. Many marveled at how all five of us were so alike and got along so well. We had the same interests and dealt with situations in a similar way. It was almost too good to be true.

One of the girls moved out of the apartment our Junior year for various reasons and we were left with the task of finding another roommate. The girl who moved out suggested one of her friends who also happened to be looking for a place. (We all swear that she was scheming to screw us over, although she probably didn't know at the time) . Since none of us really knew her, but badly needed another roommate, we asked her to come live with us. And that...was when all hell broke loose.

This girl was so different from us in every way. Imagine a drama queen....and multiply that by 1000. In the beginning of her lease with us, she didn't really live there because she lived with her boyfriend. Until the day that his parents (devoted Muslims) caught the two in his apartment and literally chased her out of the apartment screaming. That was when she started to actually live with us 8 months after her lease started. A week later she came home with a swollen face and a black eye after taunting some random person and getting socked in the face. She had no respect for others around her nor did she ever learn simple courtesy. She left her open unused pads on the counter in the bathroom, rarely ever took a shower, or did her laundry. It was disgusting. One day, we took out all of her stinky laundry and put at the front door along with laundry detergent. Even though none of liked her, we thought that we would be nice and invite her on our road trip to Reno. Before we had even gotten out of Davis, she had made a scene at the gas station while we were pumping gas for our trip. She jumped out of the car and screamed, cried, cussed at us until her entire face was red and our faces red from embarrassment. After many many many similar episodes of drama had happened, every single one of my roommates had gotten into a fight with her and stopped talking to her....except me.

It was bound to happen. I had not gotten into a fight with her the 2 years that she lived with us, but at the end of the year, I had stopped going out of my way to talk to her and avoided her at all costs. I thought I was homefree when graduation came around. The night of my graduation, many of my friends and family had come to celebrate the event. After the ceremony, a few of us stopped by my apartment so that I could gather up my duffel bag for the weekend. On our way out of the apartment, I heard a *stomp* *stomp* *stomp* coming behind me on the stairs. The crazy roommate swung open the front door and chased me, my family, and my friends out the door, through the pool gate screaming at me for not inviting her to my graduation. Uh...I wonder why. As she followed after me screaming and hoping to get a rise out of me, I continued to walk my path and ignore her. This drove her even crazier. My family and friends stared at her in awe....could this really be happening? The saddest part of this whole story is that I am not exagerrating one bit...if anything I'm undermining the craziness.

Last week I received a voicemail from the crazy girl on my cellphone. She spent about 3 minutes telling me that I needed to call her back and blah blah blah. My phone died that very same day and I lost all of the phone numbers that I had stored in it....including hers. Darn.

No comments: