Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Sleep Deprivation

Things have been really different for me in the past couple of months. I am not a morning person and have never been able to wake up easily in the morning. I have five alarm clocks set strategically around my bedroom with different rings/music/noises and yet, still could not wake up easily...and when I did wake up, it always took me at least a couple of hours to ease into my day before I could be normal or coherant. I needed at least seven hours of sleep to function properly or else trudged around in a "not so happy" mood. Waking up before 7am was absurd and unheard of.

Within the past couple of months, I have become a whole different person. I now have only two alarm clocks set for 5:45am but actually wake up before the alarms even go off. I hop out of bed and am excited to start my day. Even with less sleep than I got previously, I am in a happy mood, although I'm probably pretty out of it. Last night I had trouble sleeping and woke up about every 40 minutes from 11pm on to 4:30am. By the time 4:30 rolled around I gave up even trying to go to sleep and got out of bed. Yet, despite this lack of sleep and the resulting exhaustion, I still made it through my day in a reasonably good mood and still got my workout in...let's just ignore the random hallucinations or count the cups of coffee I've had.

3 comments:

Shirazi said...

It is a good change. They say this in our part of the world, "Early to sleep and early to rise."

densetsu said...

You might just be running on adrenaline. Your sleep debt will have to be paid sometime. (I run on bacon)

Eric said...

I just got a new alarm clock and I absolutely love it. It chimes to wake you up... :)