Wednesday, February 18, 2004

The Big Apple

I New York.

I had such a great time at the Big Apple. It was so much more than I expected. We took a red-eye to New York from SFO on Thursday night and landed early in the morning. From the point that we stepped off of the plane in New York till the time that we stepped off of the plane in San Francisco Monday night, we were going non-stop. Originally one of my friends had made a schedule planning out all of the sites that we wanted to see. In my head, I really didn't think we would be able to accomplish all that we had on our list, but we did. And more!

On Thursday morning we went to Grand Central station to see all of the shops and people. PEOPLE. There were so many people everywhere. Taking the subway was pretty neat, it was very similar to BART or the subway in England, just dirtier with more people. After walking around the city for a bit, we went to see the Statue of Liberty. That was sooo cool! Too bad they closed it down so that we couldn't walk up the statue. Either way, the pictures that we got were great and the view of the city behind it was even prettier. We also went to Ground Zero to see where the Twin Towers used to be. Being there in person made the tragedy so much more real than seeing it on T.V. or reading about it. You could still see all of the building that were damaged around it. That evening we went to see a show on Broadway called, 'The Boy from Oz starring Hugh Jackman (better known as Wolverine). The show was pretty interesting, but I admit that I nodded off during parts of it. I was exhausted from all that we had done all day and on only the sleep that I got on the plane.

Throughout the next few days we went to the Empire State Building, Little Italy, The Metropolitan Museum, Soho, Chinatown, and Times Square. Of course in between all of that, we went shopping. Oh man, did we go shopping! I love New York if not only for the sites but for the shopping. I came home with 4 more purses, 7 more DVDs, a new pair of jeans, and other random souvenirs. I had my first 'real' bartering experience in Chinatown and made a pretty darn good deal on one of my purses.

Although the skies were clear and it was sunny, it was freezing. I wore layers upon layers of clothes and I was still cold! I don't know how people can live there. Being in New York over the long weekend made me appreciate California so much more. I had such a great time with my friends and seeing the sites along with freezing my butt off. I think I'm pretty New York'd out. Maybe I'll go back in a few years...and next time I'll go in June.

No comments: