Monday, December 01, 2003

I feel like so many things have happened in the past few days and that's probably because a lot has. Thanksgiving was great as usual. My brother came home and I fought the airport traffic just to pick him up and a bunch of other family members came home also for a night of blessings, teasing, and of course eating. Of course, with my luck, I woke up Thursday morning feeling like a truck had run me over. I had gotten my flu shot a couple of weeks ago, but somehow still managed to get the flu pretty bad..and on a holiday too! I ended up lying on the couch going in and out of consciousness the entire day until the family started to arrive. But, even being deadly sick didn't stop me from waking up at 6am the following morning to do my Christmas shopping.

All I have to say is...people are CRAZY. I was able to avoid the Walmart mania that was going on and headed to Target instead. The mayhem going on there was crazy enough. They had a worker in every single aisle standing there to help people and guide the masses around each other. Shopping carts full of items were set along the center of the aisles with huge sale signs on them. Somehow, I made it to the toy section, or was rather pushed in that direction and found some adorable remote control cars for $5. There were plenty of them in the racks and a shopping cart full of them in the aisle. I spent my wee little time picking out various colors and then continued throughout the rest of the store. After going on to another store, I realized that my remote control cars were a great deal and that I had forgotten to buy gifts for a few other kids and headed back to the store to buy more. By this time, the mayhem had picked up even more and every single car was GONE. The entire rack full and the shopping cart full. My brother called me later on to tell me that he had gone to Best Buy and was able to grab a $20 DVD player but was standing in a line that winded around the entire store and out the door. I saw later on the news that some poor lady had gotten trampled at a Walmart over a $30 DVD player. If that had been me, I would have pulled some people down with me too. I managed to get 99.9% of my Christmas shopping done that day by 10AM and went home to collapse. In all honesty, I enjoy the hustle and bustle of it all. It's a day to be focused and get everything done so that the rest of the month, I can relax and just enjoy watching everyone else.

No comments: