Tuesday, August 17, 2004

FHS Reunion

I went to my five year high school reunion this past weekend. Usually high schools have reunions every ten years, but our high school has the first one after five years and then every ten after that. Five years doesn't seem like that much time to really accomplish that much. A couple of friends and I debated for a long time about whether or not we really wanted to go to a reunion so soon after actually graduating, but curiosity got to us, and we ended up making a decision to go at the last minute.

The first word that comes to mind about the whole event was...weird. Everyone looked the same and yet different. Some of us have changed a lot and most of us have rarely changed at all. Almost 75 percent of the people there had gained weight since high school, a bunch of people went to college and graduated, a handful were married, a smaller handful with kids, and everyone was mostly just 'hanging out'.

I'd always thought that I was good with names and that I had a good memory. I can remember the most minute details from almost any event in time, but this event just proved to me that my memory really sucks. I could hardly remember anyone's name outside of my close group of friends. Everyone's faces looked familiar but I couldn't put a name to the face. I spent most of the night leaning over to hear my friends mention people's names and identify who was who. At one point in the night, when I asked who someone was (who I was actually pretty good friends with back then!), my friend said, 'Did we go to the same high school?'. Sad.

I'm glad I went. Although there were no big surprises, like seeing the nerdiest girl come back as a supermodel, it was interesting to see where everyone was headed. I'm definitely looking forward to the ten year and twenty year reunion now when we all come back and see where everyone ended up.

No comments: