Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Infamous Flu of 08'

That is what I'm going to call this sickness that has overtaken my life for the past week.

Every couple of years I get hit with a "big" illness. A couple of years ago, I had a really bad cough that was so strong and lasted for so long....that my lungs were inflamed and I fractured a rib from coughing. Yes, fractured a rib...from coughing. A few years before that, I had pneumonia.

I jinxed myself by telling everyone that despite the fact that the flu was going around, I surprisingly hadn't been really sick in a couple of years. And then? Of course, it hits me. Like a mad truck. I woke up last Sunday with the worst sore throat I have ever felt in my life. It felt like I had nails going up and down my throat every time I took a breath, said a word, blinked. And then I lost my voice for a couple of days. I thought it would get better after a day or two, but then it got worse! *sigh* But now I have finally reached the recovery stage. Just with a lingering cough to remind me about how bad my past week has been.

I was made aware of how delirious I have been all week when I drove to the bank today to deposit a check that has been sitting in my purse for awhile. Once I arrived at the bank, I spent the next 10 minutes going through my purse in a panic looking for the check. In the meantime, I discovered that I lost my favorite sunglasses at some point in the past week or two and found one of two earrings in my purse...meaning I lost the other one somewhere along the way. We had to pull out the iPhone and use online banking only to figure out that I had in fact deposited the check on Monday....when I was totally flu'ish. Do I remember doing this? No.

So here's hoping that I can stay healthy for another couple of years.

And yes, I got the flu shot this year.

No comments: